Retargeting, aka. remarketing, have become a major demand source in digital advertising with the rise of real-time-bidding (RTB). Retargeting allows advertisers to target audience pools that have already shown interest in their brand or product offerings. The benefits are clear: higher ROI for advertisers and increased eCPM for publishers.
More recently, programmatic native has become a reality with the standardization of IAB’s OpenRTB 2.3 specification. Naturally, native retargeting becomes the next evolutionary step.
Working closely with industry partners, AdsNative has pioneered a simple and practical workflow for enabling native retargeting for any publisher.
Retargeting is enabled by syncing first-party data from publishers with third-party advertiser data. During this process, three challenges must be addressed:
- Privacy and Control: Most publishers have sensitive user data that must be kept anonymous during the sync process. Furthermore, many publishers do not wish to give direct client access to the advertisers’ tracking pixels, only allowing server-side integration.
- Heterogeneous Data Sources: To maximize retargeting potential, publishers must keep their data in sync with all the players (DSPs, DMPs, ATDs, etc.) on the exchange.
- Scalability: As a publisher’s audience grows, and the demand competition for this audience increases, the number of data sync requests and the amount of data that need to be stored grows exponentially.
These challenges make it difficult for publishers to enable and maintain retargeting ad offerings across their inventory.
To address the above challenges and enable retargeting ad offerings for publishers, AdsNative built a data translation infrastructure as an auxiliary service to our real-time-bidding exchange. Effectively, AdsNative serves as a proxy between the publishers’ data and the demand partners’ data. This proxy service provides:
- Abstraction of user data into anonymous identifiers.
- Sync server that matches and stores the anonymous identifiers from all data sources on the exchange.
- Auto-scalability to keep up with increasing sync requests
- Server-to-server integration with publishers to restrict direct access to clients. This service help prevent data theft, while maintaining synchronicity with all players on the exchange.